Sunday, January 11, 2009

Wonder

I am setting here at my computer looking out the window, and watching the snow fall.

God, in His love, for us shows me so many things to gaze upon, to look in awe and wonder at His creation. As the wind blows, I see the snowflakes as they swirl in a Simi circle and then fall so gently to the ground, only to be followed by more snowflakes again.

I watch the deer as they paw and nuzzle the ground for hidden leaves, and other vegetation, and then bend their heads down to feed on their find.

As I enjoy the scene before me, I am reminded of the abundance of apples we enjoyed this summer, and the many that fell to the ground and not retrieved. These are also hidden in those treasured places.

A grey squirrel that has taken up residence in one of our pine trees also seeks the food that she had so carefully hidden away earlier in the fall. As I watch her, she finds and apple and holding it in her mouth, she heads for her next.

Within seconds several magpies descend upon her find, and with a boldness that makes me smile, I watch as she chases those pesky birds off. There seems to be a lot of chirping and fluttering of wings as the chase is on. With the find carefully taken to the nest, she is not seen again for a while.

As I watch this scene unfold, I am reminded of the Wise Men, as the followed the star in search of the Christ child, and were convinced by Herod to tell him where the child was once they found Him. Herod also, like the magpie did not want to put out much effort relying on others to provide.

We also sometimes follow the same pattern, relying on others to search for the hidden treasure of God’s word that is given to all who seek. My prayer is to continually search the scriptures and be fed by the word of God.

© Jean C Prentice

No comments: